The Management of School of Basic and Remedial Studies, Umaru Musa Yar’adua University, Katsina wishes to inform members of the general public that sale of Application form for 2023/2024 Academic Session into the School of Basic and Remedial Studies (SBRS) Umaru Musa Yar’adua University, Katsina commences with immediate effect.
The School runs the following Programmes:
- Remedial Studies:
Remedial Programmes (Science, Social Science and Arts)
IJMBE Programs (Science, Social Science and Arts)
- Basic Studies:
Immersion Program (English)
1.0 ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS FOR REMEDIAL PROGRAMME
a. Candidates applying for Remedial Programme must possess at least three (3)Credits in Science, Arts and Social Science subjects and any two(2) relevant Passes at ‘O’ level in the other subjects offered in the School at not more than two (2) Sittings.
1. Agricultural Science, Biology, Chemistry, Geography & Physics
2. Arabic, French, Hausa, History, Islamic Studies & Literature in English
3. Accounting, Civic Education, Commerce, Economics & Government
English Language and Mathematics
b. Candidates admitted for the Remedial programme MUST register and pass WAEC, NECO, NABTEB, OR NBAIS Exams at Credit level in the subjects they are deficient.
c. Candidates applying for Remedial programme MUST also register for the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) and obtain the minimum pass mark approved by the University and MUST choose Umaru Musa Yar’adua University as their 1st choice. The Duration of the Programme is one year.
2.0 ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS FOR IJMBE PROGRAMME
a. Candidates applying for IJMBE Program MUST possess at least five (5) ‘O’ level Credits including English and Mathematics in Science, Arts and Social Science Subjects, at not more than two (2) Sittings. For candidates from educationally less developed states (ELDS) in Nigeria, deficiency is allowed for English. The deficiency however, must be remedied before the end of the IJMBE Program. The Duration of the Program is one year (See the appendix below)
IJMBE Science Subjects:
Agricultural Science, Biology, Chemistry, Geography, Mathematics & Physics
IJMBE Arts Subjects:
Arabic, French, Hausa, History, Islamic Studies & Literature in English
IJMBE Social Science Subjects:
Accounting, Business Management, Commerce, Economics, Geography, Government & Sociology
b. All registered IJMBE candidates MUST also register for JAMB Direct Entry (DE) Admissions. The Duration of the Programme is one year.
3.0 AVAILABLE PROGRAMMES FOR BASIC STUDIES:
a. DIPLOMA PROGRAMME:
Part-Time Diploma in Law with Specialization in:
- Shari’a and Civil Law
Admission Requirement: SSCE (or equivalent) with at least 5 credits in any other Social Science or Arts subject in not more than two sittings, Teachers Grade II (passed) with at least 4 Credits including Languages, SIS/HIS, NBAIS with at least Credit overall grade, (or minimum of 5Bs in the core course).
Duration: Two (2) Academic Sessions/Four (4) Semesters
- Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR)
Requirement: SSCE (or equivalent) with at least 5 Credits in any other Social Science or Arts subject in not more than two sittings, Degree or Diploma in the field of Law or Sharia etc.
Part-Time Diploma in Education with Humanities option in:
- English Language
- French Language
- Hausa Language
- Islamic Studies
- School Management
- Quality Assurance
Admission Requirement: Candidate must have passed (at credit grade) at least 5 subjects in SSCE/GCE including English and Mathematics at not more than two sittings; then any three (3) relevant subjects. Any other ‘O’ Level qualification may be considered but with at least minimum of 5 credits including English and Mathematics.
Part-Time Diploma in Science Education:
- Education Biology (Biology option)
- Education Chemistry (Chemistry option)
- Education Physics (Physics option)
- Education Geography (Geography option)
Part-Time Diploma in Education Mathematics
Admission Requirement: Candidate applying for Diploma in Science Education must have at least 5 credits in SSCE/GCE including English and Mathematics at not more than two sittings. The two (2) credits must be from Biology and Chemistry and any other three from Physics, Maths and Geography. Any other ‘O’ Level qualification may be considered but with at least minimum of 5 credits including English and Mathematics and any other relevant science subjects.
Duration: Two (2) Academic Sessions/Four (4) Semesters
b. CERTIFICATE PROGRAMME
Humanities with Option in:
- Professional Certificate in English (Intensive)
- Translation and Subtitling for English
Admission Requirement: Candidate must have at least Three (3) “O Level Credits including English
ISSCerEr (Centre for Renewable Energy Research)
- Certificate in Solar PV Installation
- Certificate in Renewable Energy Management
Admission Requirement: Candidate must have at least 3 credits in SSCE/GCE science subjects including English
Duration: Six (6) Months
c. IMMERSION PROGRAMME (English)
This is a Programme meant for candidates who wish to be proficient in English language to enable them gain admission into the University
The Duration of the Programme is 7 months of two (2) semesters.
4.0 METHODS OF APPLICATION
Interested candidates are required to follow the procedures below:
- Log onto SBRS Portal and create profile.
- Online payment of the sum of Three Thousand Naira (N3, 000) only and obtain payment slip. This covers cost of the form and online screening.
- Fill in the online application form(s) Top of Form
OBJECTIVES OF THE SCHOOL
- Prepare candidates to remedy their ‘O’ Level deficiencies.
- Prepare candidates with technical expertise on National Examinations conducted by WAEC, NECO, NABTEB and IJMBE.
- Prepare candidates for Remedial and IJMBE ‘A’ Level Examinations, so as to pass and gain admission into any chosen tertiary institution in Nigeria.
- Train candidates for Certificate and Diploma Studies in various academic and human endeavours.
DR. SANI MOHAMMED GIDADO
DIRECTOR, SBRS UMYU
Leave a Reply